Sunday, June 14, 2009

Introductions

Greetings and welcome to the very first post on my new blog. My name is Nathaniel and in this blog I intend to write about the various scholars that have and continue to touch my life on a daily basis.

My journey into studying philosophy began several years ago. I had taken a philosophy class at my university having had no prior contact with the subject or any of its great thinkers. The first text we were required to read was Plato's "The Trial and Death of Socrates," a work that has since spurned me on the path to many other different works of philosophy by many different thinkers.

After taking the time to understand what Socrates was saying (something I will address shortly) my curiosity was greatly expanded and I sought out other works. Soon after I began to read other works I had a rather extreme religious encounter that lead me to investigate Christian and Buddhist works, which lead me to the Gospel of Thomas, the Dalai Lama, and Thich Naht Hahn.

Reading all of these works has given me a much broader perspective on human behavior, my own thoughts and feelings, and many other things which I will discuss when I get to them.

I want to stress that I am by no means a philosophical scholar. I've seen many other philosophy blogs posted online that have been written by individuals with some very impressive credentials. Instead I want to have a place where I can write my own musings about the various things I have read and the experiences I've had, sort of like an easily accessible catalog of my thoughts. Additionally as a future professional writer this outlet provides an excellent way for me to practice my future craft.

Looking forward to sharing my thoughts and hearing yours,

Nathaniel

No comments:

Post a Comment